Thursday, February 18, 2010

The Science of Liberty

That is the title of Timothy Ferris latest book, which I haven't read yet, so let's get that out of the way.

This is a news article on Ferris's book that makes quite a provocative claim: that science and democracy go hand in hand.

"I'm trying to draw attention," said Ferris, "to what I think has always been a fundamental connection between science and liberal democracy, that the reason we had an Enlightenment -- and the democratic revolution that everyone agrees followed from the Enlightenment -- was because of the discovery of science."


I also find it rather fascinating that, towards the end, he mentioned that his most ardent critic are the post-modern left. I can't believe this group of people are still making such noise after being thoroughly embarrassed by the Sokal hoax, and Sokal's continued revelation of what fraud these people are!

Zz.

No comments: